Sunday, March 8, 2009

Fashion Statements

For: x-lisa-x chic casual
For: x-lisa-x chic casual - by KAMILKA on Polyvore.com

(I did not make this set, I just found it on Polyvore and added it here for a visual.)


Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. - Colossians 3:12

As girls (and guys), we know that fashion plays a big role in our societies and, therefore, our lives. It is a huge industry! Our clothes say a lot about us and our lifestyles. People describe their styles as being preppy, sporty, retro, glam, bohemian, 80's, etc. etc. because they want to identify with whatever they are styling themselves after. We express what we like and often times who we like or want to be like through the clothes that we choose to wear. I mean, you can tell a person has a 'thing' for the 70's if they always wear clothing styled after that decade. We can tell a person likes bright colors, or a certain color, if all their clothes are really bright or contain the same color all the time. You can often tell which bands and brands people like if their clothes sport their logos.

So, as a Christian, it makes me wonder. When people look at us do they see compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience? Can they tell we identify with our God who saved us, loves us dearly, makes us holy? God tells us to clothe ourselves with these things. I know as well as the next person that you can't weave a shirt or pair of pants out of compassion and humility. But I would like for people to look at me and say, "she is kind (compassionate, gentle, patient, humble)" and know that I identify myself as the child of the one true God who loves me (and you).

I want that to be my fashion statement.

No comments: