Thursday, September 10, 2009

My newest obsession!

I think my favorite place on campus is the ceramics studio. Today I pretty much had it all to myself. A few of the students and/or teachers walked through a few times. But for the most part I was all alone. It was wonderful! This is my first mug. It isn't finished yet. I just put the handle on today. It was the first time I've tried to attach a handle. It's kind of complicated and in the end I had to perform surgery on my mug to try and salvage it. I think for a first attempt it isn't too terrible, although my teacher may have a different opinion. :)
This is the wheel I was working on. I was trying to get a picture of my tools but did not succeed.
There, that is a better idea of what my work station looks like. Although normally I don't leave my cell phone out. I wasn't actually throwing anything today, I was just letting the mugs I threw last night have a chance to air dry while I tried to smooth and attach a handle to the mug that was already ''leather-hard.'' If I was throwing pots I would be using a lot of water and my cell phone would end up water-logged. I just had it there because I had to leave by 4 pm and it helped me keep track of the time.
These are the little pots/mugs I've saved so far. I've thrown a few others but I ended up throwing them in the slurry. I liked these better. Now I have to try to attach handles to all of these. Our first actual graded project is mugs and we have to make at least 10. I am going to try to make a few different shapes and see what I like best.
And here is a sideview of the other mugs/pots I threw. I think it's so weird to say "throw," "threw" because it makes you think we're actually tossing things around. We don't. That just means you started it on a wheel and pulled up the walls. At least that's what I think it means. :)
I'll be posting some more about ceramics as I continue to make progress on these projects. I'm excited to see what they look like in the end!
Update: 9/13/2009. My teacher said that the first mug I made was, "not bad." Sweet! :)

2 comments:

Natalie Morris said...

Oh so cute!!! I can't wait to see the finished products!

Jacqueline said...

they look so good grace!! can't WAIT to get my Christmas present this year! ♥