Friday, September 11, 2009

Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

Once upon a time, my brother and sister were surfing channels on the TV and they came across an Elvis Presley movie called Girls, Girls, Girls. They thought that was a hilarious name for a movie.

That really doesn't have anything to do with this post except it is the inspiration for my title: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs. Because that's what we're going to look at. These are some pictures of our weimaraners, who are unfortunately no longer with us. Weimaraners are absolutely beautiful dogs. And they're SO intelligent. They're scary they're so smart. You can find stories about the crazy things they do because they're just so intelligent and they're sneaky. They're a handful, but they're wonderful companions because their personalities are so fun and they're very loyal.

I took these pictures at least 3 years ago. I remember it was snowing outside and we had a snow day from college (woohoo!) and I had nothing better to do with myself (like who does homework on a snowday???) than to take glamour shots of our dogs and the puppies they had recently had.

This is Jumper. He's the papa dog. He's a handsome devil! And the funny thing about him was he knew he was being photographed and would usually hold a pose for me until he heard the camera click and then he'd try to get off the coffee table where he was sitting for his picture.

I thought it was fun then, now I have to wonder what kind of sane 17 year old takes glamour photos of their dog? Kinda embarrassing actually.

Weimaraner puppies are so cute! They truly are. They have blue eyes that eventually turn hazel or a whitish blue. Our female, Dancer, had whitish blue eyes that were almost a little creepy. But she was a hoot!
I'm sure I thought I was the feminine version of William Wegman...lol.
This was the whole litter. All seven of them. This was incredibly hard to take because they wouldn't stop moving around. That's why the one on the far right is kind of behind the one next to it. This was the best one I got though.
I just put this one in because it makes me laugh. They were a little older at this point and I was still pretending I was William Wegman. Yawning puppies are so cute, but this one looks like he's laughing at me.
This is Hank. He was a very special puppy. Look how grumpy he looks. We identified with each other.

Hank couldn't find a home. No one wanted him...and he was such a terrific puppy. It just didn't make sense. So we kept him. He got very sick right before Thanksgiving. He stopped eating and drinking on a Friday night and began vomiting and by Monday morning was a very dehydrated puppy! We took him to the vet and had to stay overnight in the vet's office on antibiotics and IVs. We never found out what was wrong with him, but he made a full recovery which made us all happy. Two summers ago my family thought my dad's job was going to transfer him to another state. At the time we had 6 dogs and we knew that if we moved we would not be able to bring all those dogs. Hank was the youngest. My parents decided that it would be best for him if we found him a home with someone. I was so upset. So upset, in fact, that after they told me I left to go to work and instead of putting the car in drive I accidentally put it in reverse and backed over their grill. So not only was I sad about losing our puppy, but I took out my Dad's grill and felt really bad about that. It was such a bad day. In the end Hank found a wonderful home with people who let him sleep in the bed with them and treated him like their son. I'm sure he's very happy. And I'm happy for him. But I still occasionally miss that dog.

So let's talk about a different dog now. While I was pretending to be Wegman I decided to do some glamour shots of my sister's dog, Django. He is a mutt, but he's so pretty. His markings are really symmetrical. I've never seen such a symmetrical dog!
You know, studies have been done that show that the people we rate as "most beautiful" have extremely symmetrical faces. I think that's why I always thought Django was such a handsome boy. That and his ears were too big for his head. Oh so cute!
He looks so miserable. He's saying, "boy dogs shouldn't be covered in tulle!" lol.

This is him now. In a much more manly setting. He still looks a little mournful. The dogs probably know to be wary of me when I get around them with a camera now.
So that is my post about my awkward glamour photos of our dogs. I would like to say that if only my siblings had let me photograph them on that snow day, I wouldn't have subjected the dogs to ribbons and tulle and all that jazz. So it's Adam and Holly's fault.
Yeah...that's right. Adam and Holly's fault. :)

1 comment:

Christy said...

Those photos are awesome! I just love the shots of the puppies. My parents just got a puppy over this weekend and we've been at their house as much as possible to play with it. I should try taking some glamour shots!