Friday, July 31, 2009

Weekends :)

It's FRIDAY!!! One of my favorite days of the week. There's just something about the day...it makes me breathe a sigh of relief! No having to get up at 6:15 am, no rushing out the door to work or school, time to actually do the things you want or need to do...it's beautiful! Almost like a holiday.

Since we're talking about Fridays, check out my sister's blog: Always Freyday. This is my sister, Jacqueline, and she is my niece's mother. Check out her blog for lovely photos, short stories and anecdotes from her life as a wife and new mom.

So here is what's going on lately:
  • I finished piecing the top for my quilt! This makes me very happy! I now need to get some binding and padding for it before I can put it all together. While it's not a fancy-shmancy quilt I am really pleased with the way it turned out. Very colorful and it contains fabric scraps that I've had for years and never quite knew what to do with. It makes me happy to see all the colors and patterns together. I can't wait to finish it and post pictures of it!
  • I made the circle skirt from Chic and Simple Sewing. I adjusted the pattern to suit me better. This skirt calls for an elastic waist and I not only did not have elastic, I also was using a heavier, stiffer fabric that I was sure wouldn't gather very well. So I flipped the skirt inside out and put it on and pinched up the fabric to where I wanted it to sit and just sewed it there and put in a zipper. Unfortunately, my zipper is a little funny but I probably won't let that stop me from wearing it. I'm not sure if I just am using zippers that are too stiff or what but all my zippers (and I've tried 2 different ways of putting them in) come out a bit wonky. So I'm working on that. Anyway, I like the way the skirt came out and I think that in the future if I make this skirt again I will use the zipper again because I don't think elastic waist skirts are a very good look on me.
  • The ladies at work threw a little going-away party for me on Monday. It was very sweet of them. I leave in 3 weeks!!! 3! Weeks! I made some cards for them as a thankyou and I'll be posting those soon.
  • Because I'm leaving in 3 weeks for college and I'm trying not to spend any more $$$ than I have to I am hoping to sew a few things for school. Like a laptop case and a bedside buddy (for glasses and ipod and books and all those good things) and whatever else I find time to make. Finding time is the real problem here. I feel like all summer I have just worked full-time and I have hardly seen my family and friends. It is good that I was able to put in so many hours, but my nostalgic and soon-to-be-homesick part of me really wishes I had been able to spend a lot more time with my family.
  • I made yet another trip out to the library this week. I've finished another book and I'm going to be starting on a new one so expect some updates to my Summer Reading List.

I think that's about all for now. I'll be back with photos later! Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: