Sunday, March 21, 2010

It's been kinda muggy around here lately...

It's almost looking like I don't do anything with ceramics anymore! I never post on it it seems. In actuality I've been making quite a few things. I've had 2 more critiques since the Admiral. We're back on the wheel now. I love it! As my teacher said (in reference to throwing on the wheel), "there's no place like home." Yes, that is very droll. :)

Here is a little mug I threw and had salt-fired. I didn't use any glazes on it or anything. I really like how it came out. It reminds me of the beach for some reason. I guess because it looks like sand. I've got about 15 more that have been bisque fired and glazed, but haven't been fired again yet. I also threw a few more last night. I have this idea for graffiti mugs...I'm researching Banksy for an artist powerpoint project and his work is somewhat inspiring me to graffiti my mugs. I'll let you know if this goes anywhere. :)


I feel like I can see a definite improvement in my mugs. They're thinner and the handles are better. It makes me happy! I thought I would never figure them out but I learned a new way to make and attach handles and it works much better for me than the old way did. Another thing I learned to do was make slip! I made a new red slip because our old one kept burning out when it was fired for the second time. I'd like to try to make a yellow and maybe purple slip too! My teacher said he wouldn't mind if I did. It's just a matter of finding time for it. I can't believe this semester is getting so close to being finished!

I glazed a bunch of my mugs and upon my teacher's advice drew sketches of each mug I've made and wrote down what I used to glaze it. He said this is a good idea because sometimes you'll do crazy stuff to a piece while glazing and it will come out really good or really bad. Either way you'll want to remember what you did so you can repeat it or so you know not to repeat it. So here are a few pictures of my sketches and notes.
I can't wait to see if they turn out alright. Glazing always makes me a bit nervous because sometimes my stuff comes out so ugly! I'm hoping that this time when we unload it I'll be happy with the results!

I'll try to get more pictures when I have something to show for my work!

2 comments:

Kitonious said...

I love your mug, Grace! How cool to be able to make your own dish-ware. I'm glad that you're enjoying what you are doing down there, even though it is a lot of work.

Paula said...

I like this mug, Grace! Let us know when you have some things for sale.

Mrs. P.