Monday, May 31, 2010

one last piece for tonight...

I forgot to put this piece with my favorite pieces in the last post. It's okay though because this one is glazed with colored glazes, unlike the others. This mug makes me smile. It is kind of a misunderstood little mug. Not everyone likes it. Although someone did offer to buy it from me, so it is appreciated too by a few people (I said no...we're not allowed to sell our work). It reminds me of a Ken Ferguson slump pot. I was throwing with a very soft clay and the middle got too thin and collapsed. I really loved the way it collapsed though so I saved it anyway and put a handle on it and dipped it in either 3D matte or Eustes and then in tenmoku. I had it fired in oxidation which I really like. It seems like colors are much more vibrant in oxidation than in reduction. Oddly enough, it's probably my very favorite mug I've made. I think it was a happy accident and I'm going to try to recreate it.


No comments: