Monday, February 15, 2010

The Admiral

This is my latest project in my ceramics class. We had to slab or model a palm-sized object or do a self-portrait bust. My classmate is an excellent sculptor and he did a self-portrait of himself. I knew I would not be able to do that so I went out and bought a kids' toy and decided to model it. I went to Wal-mart and all they had was Strawberry Shortcake and Avatar figures so when I found this little Star Wars alien I chose him. Our finished project had to be about a foot tall. I think this guy is a bit taller than that.

He was so fun to make. I would have never picked this project for myself. I like throwing and am interested in slab-building, but I would never of my own accord make a model of something as useless as an alien. As it turns out, he is my favorite object I've ever made. I'm SO glad my teacher gave us this assignment. Even if I never do anything with the Admiral, I had a lot of fun making him and I learned some stuff while making him. It was great. I hope I get a good grade on him! I'll try to update this with a picture of the toy I modeled it after.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Sweet!

Jacqueline said...

nice to catch up on your blog. the admiral is awesome. keep up the great work!