Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Finished projects

I realize these photos are pretty bad, but here is a general idea of what my work looks like now that it's been glazed and fired. I got to help load and brick a kiln last Tuesday and then I got to help unbrick and partially unload it on Friday. It's really like Christmas! It's so exciting to be taking down the brick and seeing all the stuff inside. And if things turned out kinda cool then it's SO exciting! Very fun. :) Unfortunately, I was really tired while helping unload the last kiln and a little bit grumpy so I'm sure that if I was not recovering from a flu and running on 5 hours of sleep while facing a 3 hour drive home (not that I'm complaining here or anything...wink...) then it would have been even more awesome. Because even being that tired and grumpy un-bricking/unloading a kiln is really fun and exciting.

Just thought anyone who reads this may want to know that. :) Anyway, this is my casserole dish. It's been glazed in tenmoku. I love tenmoku.
This jar had leaves painted on it in slip and then was glazed in celadon.

This ugly thing was glazed in rich blue matte and celadon. Definitely not my favorite.


I liked this one a little better. The bottom was glazed in tenmoku while the top was glazed in celadon and then the entire thing was dipped in shino which caused the bubbly look. I had no idea what I was doing and thought I had ruined it, but after it came out I decided I kind of liked it.

I'm really not sure what these were glazed with. The tops are eustace, but I can't tell if the bottoms are shaner red or tenmoku and I think the middle may just be where the two glazes overlapped. I'm really not sure what it is. But I like them.
This is a bowl from my table service. The flowers are painted with slip and then the entire thing was glazed in celadon. The same goes for the stem glass below.
I made plates but I haven't glazed them yet. Time just got away from me and it didn't get done. I have several other mugs that are really ugly and I didn't want to photograph and I also have quite a few jars that haven't come out of the kiln yet since the kiln was still kind of warm on Friday and we only got the front unloaded while I was there. I'm looking forward to seeing them when I get back to school. I have a few more things I want to make before this semester is over. I have to finish my final project but I'm hoping to make a few little extra things too if I have time to.
I can't say it enough, if you have an opportunity to take ceramics, do so. It's really great. :)

1 comment:

Christy said...

I love how your glazes came out! Especially the table service set, I can tell you spent a lot of time in the details. Happy Thanksgiving!