Monday, June 15, 2009

Gettysburg!

We took a little trip to Gettysburg Battlefield this past Sunday. The weather was made to order. I love it when the weather is perfect. Not too hot, not too cold...just right. In the words of Goldilocks anyway. :)








It was a huge battlefield. I had no idea how big it would be. You had to drive through it and even then it took us hours. It is very beautiful out there in Pennsylvania. But personally I think I liked Antietam Battlefield a little better. It is a little smaller and I think not quite as rugged as Gettysburg is.

Whenever I am on a battlefield or at Harper's Ferry I am just amazed at how peaceful those places seem. They're quiet and beautiful and yet so much violence took place there. Especially the battlefields. They're described as being blood-soaked and strewn with bodies. Horrible really. I couldn't picture it when I am in those places.

I like going to historic places. I think it's so neat to walk on ground that has been walked upon by historic people. George Washington was a scout or surveyor for Harper's Ferry so who knows if I have walked the same grounds as he did. I think it's sort of a neat thought.

I have often wanted to go to Israel to see the places that Jesus and his disciples and the apostles walked. Talk about history! I think it would be so awesome. That's one of my goals one day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats good pics!